Work began on Phase 1 of the new interchange in April 2009 and will be complete in December 2010. Phase 2 began in November 2009 and will be complete in summer 2012.
Crews continue constructing concrete footings, columns, and decks for the new North Causeway Boulevard to I-10 west on-ramp. The portion of the ramp over I-10 will soon join the existing on-ramp.
Work continues on the new I-10 West to North Causeway exit ramp including driving piles, constructing concrete foundations, and the concrete deck. This ramp is progressing north from I-10 with the pile driving operation currently north of Veterans Boulevard. The large steel girders over Veterans are in place. The removal of the existing bridge rail of the Veterans overpass is underway where the new ramp will tie into the existing overpass.
Work continues on the foundation for the new North Causeway to Veterans off-ramp. The ground level portion of this ramp is complete. The exit to Veterans will be open this week.
Work continues on the new I-10 West off-ramp to Southbound Causeway as well as the I-10 West on-ramps from southbound Causeway and Veterans. The work underway includes installation of sand and stone roadway base, driving piles, construction of concrete foundations, drainage structures, and sewer and water pipes. The new ground level on-ramp from Veterans to I-10 West is nearing completion. When complete, Southbound Causeway and Veterans traffic will both use this ramp to enter I-10 West during the remainder of the project.
CURRENT LANE AND RAMP CLOSURES
1. The North I-10 Service Road, just east of Causeway, remains closed at 27th Street. Temporary access to 26th street has been provided for about three weeks. During this time, the service road can be accessed from Southbound Causeway via 26th street to Athania Parkway. Once the pile driving operation resumes at 26th street, the service road will be completely closed and traffic will be detoured to Severn Street to access the service road.
2. Ground level Northbound Causeway is reduced to one lane for several months and U-turn north of Veterans closed.
a. Alternate route for Westbound I-10: Exit at Bonnabel to West Esplanade to Causeway.
b. Alternate Route for Westbound Veterans: Instead of continuing on Causeway through Veterans, turn right onto eastbound Veterans and U-turn to go west.
3. The U-turn south of Veterans leading to Southbound Causeway is closed. Motorists headed to the I-10 service road should exit at Clearview.
4. The far right lane of South Causeway between Veterans and I-10 is closed. This is the 3rd lane that serves as the acceleration lane for Veterans entering South Causeway. Veterans traffic should use extreme caution as they yield to enter South Causeway.
5. The right lane of the I-10 West collector road is closed. Traffic entering I-10 west from Northbound Causeway must yield to the traffic exiting from I-10 West.
The North Causeway exit to Veterans Boulevard will re-open this week. Also at this time, I-10 westbound to North Causeway traffic will also once again enter North Causeway onto the Veterans overpass and will no longer have to go through the Veterans intersection.
Motorists should expect delays, and we ask that you proceed through the project with caution. Be on the lookout for flaggers and construction traffic entering and exiting the highway, side streets and driveways.
Traffic entering and exiting some streets, driveways, businesses and subdivisions will be temporarily inconvenienced while construction continues. If your business or residence has two entrances/exits, one entrance/exit may be closed temporarily during construction operations, but the other entrance will remain open, allowing access to your business or residence. If your business has one entrance/exit, we will maintain traffic in and out of the business or residence while crews work across the driveway.
All above-mentioned work schedules are subject to change due to adverse weather. Please see public notices for exact times, dates and cancellations.
For additional questions or comments, contact DOTD’s Customer Service Center at 1-877-4LA-DOTD (1-877-452-3683) or e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org. The center is open 7:30 a.m. - 5 p.m. Monday through Friday. You can also visit the project’s Web page by going to