BATON ROUGE, La. – Private non-profit organizations and certain public entities wishing to apply for the 2007 capital assistance transportation grants through the Section 5310 Elderly Persons and Persons with Disabilities program should submit a letter requesting an application by Aug. 28 to the Department of Transportation and Development (DOTD).
The program, which provides funds to purchase vehicles to transport the elderly and disabled, is open only to those organizations that already provide such services, according to Johnny B. Bradberry, DOTD secretary. All minority transportation organizations are encouraged to apply.
Interested organizations should submit a letter by Aug. 28 requesting the Section 5310 application. Mail the letter to Harold Beck, Elderly and Disabled Program Manager; Louisiana DOTD; Public Transportation Section, Airport, Room 138; P.O. Box 94245, Baton Rouge, LA 70804-9245.
An application will be sent to the requesting organization, with a Feb. 1, 2007, deadline for its return to DOTD. Applications received after the deadline will not be considered, Beck said.
The state has been allocated $1.7 million for the 2007 program, and the funds are provided as an 80 percent match for the eligible cost of capital equipment (new vehicles that are wheelchair accessible) to selected agencies. The other 20 percent local match comes from the selected agencies for new vehicles that are wheelchair-accessible.
A committee of 10 – including various state agencies – rank applicants according to criteria such as need; the number of people served; coordination among existing transit agencies in the area; utilization of existing vehicles; and financial and management capabilities.
Agencies that are awarded grants must submit monthly reports during the life of the equipment.
For more information about the program, call Beck at (225) 274-4306.